Best Times of Day to Use Social Media
Social media is 24/7 but your customers/fans/followers are not on each social media platform all the time. So, the question becomes:
When is the best time to reach your customers using social media?
There a many factors that will determine the best time of day to use social media, including the platform you are using (i.e. Facebook or Twitter) and where your customers are located. The infographic below by Kissmetrics explains when the best time is to reach your specific customers.
Science of Social Timing Takeaways:
- Over 80% of the U.S. population is located in the central and eastern time zones
- Majority of Twitter users are more likely to Retweet after lunch and at the end of the work day. Customers are more likely to see your Tweet if it is scheduled for 5 pm.
- Since Twitter is a real-time feed, it is important to Tweet throughout the day. This data suggests Tweeting 1-4 times an hour; however, this can be difficult when first starting social media. I suggest aiming for the following 4 times a day when customers are more likely to check their Twitter feeds:
- Before 9 am
- Lunch time
- Around 5pm (the end of the work day)
- Between 7-8 pm after dinner
- Facebook posts can reappear in a customer’s feed as likes & shares increase of a post increase; as such, the time between posts can be greater.
- Facebook posts have the most shares & likes during lunch hours and on Saturdays, these are both times when people are relaxed and have more time peruse Facebook.
How often do you Tweet or post on Facebook? Do you think ideal posting times vary by industry? I would love to hear your thoughts, please leave a comment below.